How To Help Your Patients Maximize Their Vision Benefits
Now that we’re in the last quarter of 2021, it’s time to start thinking about helping your patients maximize their insurance benefits before the end of the year. This time of year is hectic for many people between holiday gatherings, vacations and other events. Using vision benefits might be the last thing on your patients’ minds. Here are some ways to encourage patients and make this Q4 less stressful for you and your staff!
- Send multiple reminders. Contact patients early on during the season and send another reminder mid-season in case people may forget. In addition to calling, utilize email newsletters and automated texts.
- Remind them about their expiration dates for their flexible spending accounts (FSA) and health savings accounts (HSA). Remind patients with FSAs that the funds may expire at the end of the year. Patients can use their FSAs or HSAs toward prescription glasses and sunglasses, routine eye exams, copays and deductibles.
- Use benefits for new glasses. Patients may be inclined to stay with their current glasses if they see well, but you can provide some compelling reasons to get a new pair. These reasons include having an extra pair in case of loss or damage, having prescription sunglasses, having backup glasses for all contact lens wearers or obtaining a pair specifically for computer use.
- Incentivize patients to come early. The end of the year is hectic for every practice and dealing with frantic patients wanting to come on December 31 only adds to the stress. Offer an incentive (a small discount on their order or a free eyeglass cleaning kit, for example) to patients who come in early.
- Don’t pre-appoint exams for the last few weeks of the year. Schedule these patients earlier or wait until the following year. Keep these spots open for those last-minute patients who need to come in and use benefits.
VSP® is the largest managed vision care provider in the United States, with more than one in four Americans using VSP® insurance. Since a significant number of your patients may have VSP® coverage, it’s essential to ensure your practice takes advantage!
R&D Optical Lab is now a VSP® Authorized Laboratory, and we are dedicated to providing your practice outstanding customer service, including fast turn-around times. To find out more about us, please visit RandDOptical.com or call us at 513-273-4034. For more tips and our latest updates, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram or LinkedIn!